Welcome to my Movie Blog!

Hi, I'm Tony, a.k.a. The Non Roger Ebert (R.I.P., Roger!), and welcome to my movie blog. First, let me start out by saying that this WON'T be any ordinary movie blog as I'll be reviewing movies you've probably heard of before or probably never thought about watching. Yes, I will review the occasional "mainstream" film (mostly to slam it!) and I'll be reviewing films both past and present (mostly past since I think most films released nowadays suck canal water!). I also won't be using any star ratings or thumbs up or thumbs down or anything like that since if you CAN'T figure out how much I love or loathe a film by my movie reviews alone then you're a dumb mofo, please exit the site NOW!!!! Along with the movie reviews will be commentaries on various celebrities and/or the so-called "entertainment" business in general. Enjoy!



Sunday, May 6, 2012

THE GREEN BERETS




The Green Berets, like the earlier-reviewed John Wayne flick The Conqueror, is a film that I've only watched a minute or two of, but that was quite enough for me to realize how bad it SUCKED. In this film, Wayne plays a Green Beret during the Vietnam War, and was actually one of the few if not the only pro-war film released during that time. And that certainly DIDN'T happen by accident as the Defense Department actually contacted The Duke and actually asked him to do a pro-war propaganda film in support of the highly-unpopular war. And the result was THIS piece of jingoistic cinematic crap. Of course, this film is, like countless other gung-ho right-wingers past & present (George W. Bush & Dick Cheney, are you listening?), was the closest John "Marion" Wayne EVER came to actual combat as he all but admitted how he avoided serving his (supposedly) beloved country during WWII by saying during one interview how he had contacted the military during that time and asked about signing up but said military informed him how he would have to start out as a lowly private just like anyone else and that apparently didn't sit none too well with The Duke as he said that he decided his, er, talents would be better served if he stayed behind--while his fellow thespians were actually serving their country--by appearing in "patriotic" war movies. Put another way, John "The Ultimate American Patriot" Wayne would have rather PLAYED a war hero than actually putting his life on the line--as, of course, he demanded OTHERS do (and, of course, chastised those who didn't)--and maybe--just maybe!--become one himself. The Ultimate American Patriot, indeed! Oh yeah, this film also stars George "Mr. Sulu" Takei (but, of course, THAT shouldn't be held against him!).

No comments:

Post a Comment