Welcome to my Movie Blog!

Hi, I'm Tony, a.k.a. The Non Roger Ebert (R.I.P., Roger!), and welcome to my movie blog. First, let me start out by saying that this WON'T be any ordinary movie blog as I'll be reviewing movies you've probably heard of before or probably never thought about watching. Yes, I will review the occasional "mainstream" film (mostly to slam it!) and I'll be reviewing films both past and present (mostly past since I think most films released nowadays suck canal water!). I also won't be using any star ratings or thumbs up or thumbs down or anything like that since if you CAN'T figure out how much I love or loathe a film by my movie reviews alone then you're a dumb mofo, please exit the site NOW!!!! Along with the movie reviews will be commentaries on various celebrities and/or the so-called "entertainment" business in general. Enjoy!



Friday, April 26, 2013

AN ODE (OR FU) TO TOM SHADYAC: HOLLYWEIRD'S HIPPY-DIPPY KUMBAYA PEACE & LOVE B.S. GURU

Tom "Ace Ventura" Shadyac: Talkin' to that "Jesus cat" fella?

Laura "Trip To Mars" Eisenhower & Her Great-Grandpa Dwight D.
 
One thing I can’t stand about Hollyweird and its pretentious minions is how they keep espousing this hippy-dippy Kumbaya peace & love B.S. and demand that us lowly peons share in said “love” and whatnot. One of the absolute WORST offenders in this regard is film director Tom Shadyac. Now, at this point, you might be saying to yourself, “Now just who in the blessed hell is Tom Shadyac?” While Tom Shadyac might not be a household name (and, with a name like Shadyac, that’s hard to believe!), people might know of his films such as the Jim Carrey vehicle Ace Ventura, the Robin Williams vehicle Patch Adams, the Eddie Murphy vehicle The Nutty Professor, Bruce Almighty and its, uh-hum, much-anticipated sequel Evan Almighty. Oh yeah, he also “produced” the earlier-reviewed Adam Sandler vehicle I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (or whatever the hell it was called). The reason why I’m writing about Mr. Shadyac here is because of his appearance on British comedian Russell Brand’s talk show Brand X where Tom not only espoused his hippy-dippy Kumbaya peace & love B.S. but he also took more than his fair share of jabs at this woman named Laura Eisenhower--who’s the great-granddaughter of none other than former President Dwight D. Eisenhower--because she talked about “chem trails” and/or being offered an actual trip to Mars by a former boyfriend she had met at some festival on the same show. What got to me about this is that Tom was saying basically the same B.S. about how we’re all “connected” as Laura and sounded just as, shall we say, out there as she did. As I was watching Tom’s interview, I couldn’t help but wonder how Tom reconciled his (supposed) "belief" of humanity being “unified” and how we should all just love & respect one another and whatnot while he attacked Miss Eisenhower for being--again, shall we say--out there. Tom also sounded off on religion and how he was into that “Jesus cat” and implied what kind of pets said “Jesus cat” would have and, well, you get the picture. I’m not sure if Mr. Brand was buying Tom’s brand of hippy-dippy Kumbaya peace & love B.S. (I mean, it’s kind of hard to tell with this guy!). But let me back up here and give a little background info on Mr. Crazyass, uh, I mean, Shadyac: Apparently Tom came to his hippy-dippy Kumbaya peace & love B.S. revelation when he had a bike accident and he hit his head and . . . well, I don’t feel I have to say anything more at this point, now do I? Anyway, after hitting his head, he began giving his money away and selling his possessions ala “Jesus cat” and moved into a mobile home park (granted, it’s a more upscale mobile home park, but it’s a mobile park nevertheless!). Again, while he was talking about his vow of pseudo-poverty (even though his net worth is still estimated to be around $5 million), I got to thinking that people of his apparent means can take a more “liberal” approach to life and living and whatnot while others definitely DON’T have that same luxury, you know what I mean? But, if I haven’t convinced you yet of what an whack-a-do Tom Shadyac comes across as, here’s a portion of an interview he did for Christianity Today while he was out promoting his, uh-hum, much-anticipated film Evan Almighty when asked who his greatest influence is: "Someone asked me the other day, 'What's the biggest influence on your filmmaking career?' And they started naming filmmakers. I went 'Naw, it's Jesus actually.'" Actually, I can see how that "Jesus cat" would inspire films such as Bruce and/or Evan Almighty! Anyway, Tom goes on to say that he responds to the Sermon on the Mount "to this guy who talked about loving your neighbor and loving your enemy. I know what's moving me and I know what I want to be true to in my work. And if people pigeonhole me for that, I don't really care." You know, this is actually MORE entertaining than his movies! Frankly, I myself "don't care" what anyone believes be they Tom Shadyac or Laura Eisenhower or whoever (although I admit that whole "trip to Mars" thing may have been a bit much!). But one thing I would like to say to Tom personally is that, if you're going to keep espousing hippy-dippy Kumbaya peace & love B.S. like THIS, then don't--I repeat--DON'T go on national TV and ridicule someone for espousing something like chem trails (which are a documented FACT unlike, of course, your hippy-dippy Kumbaya peace & love B.S., but I digress). Besides, I don't want--or need--life lessons from someone who directed Ace Flippin' Ventura, do you? I didn't think so! Oh yeah, Tom Shadyac is also an "adjunct" professor at Pepperdine University. The Nutty Professor, indeed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment