Welcome to my Movie Blog!

Hi, I'm Tony, a.k.a. The Non Roger Ebert (R.I.P., Roger!), and welcome to my movie blog. First, let me start out by saying that this WON'T be any ordinary movie blog as I'll be reviewing movies you've probably heard of before or probably never thought about watching. Yes, I will review the occasional "mainstream" film (mostly to slam it!) and I'll be reviewing films both past and present (mostly past since I think most films released nowadays suck canal water!). I also won't be using any star ratings or thumbs up or thumbs down or anything like that since if you CAN'T figure out how much I love or loathe a film by my movie reviews alone then you're a dumb mofo, please exit the site NOW!!!! Along with the movie reviews will be commentaries on various celebrities and/or the so-called "entertainment" business in general. Enjoy!



Wednesday, December 5, 2012

BLIND FURY




 
 
Blind Fury is a flick about a blind white samurai-type guy played by Rutger Hauer (who starred in the earlier-reviewed The Hitcher). In the film, Hauer's character is blinded while serving in Vietnam and is rescued by some local villagers, one of whom teaches him how to fight with a sword. (Yeah, I know,  but go with me on this one, alright?) Years later, he searches for one of his old army buddies and finds out that he's gone missing. While visiting his wife, he rescues his friend's young son after his mother is killed by the very same thugs who kidnapped his buddy. (Again, I know, but still go with me on this one, OK?) Rutger's character takes his pal's son in search of his father who's been kidnapped by some big-time drug dealers and being forced to make designer drugs. (Once again, I know, but STILL go with me on this one, all rightie?) As one might expect, there's a huge sword fight towards the end of the flick between Hauer and--wait for it!--an Asian samurai-type guy. And guess who wins? One thing about the fight scene I found rather interesting is that the Asian swordsman--spoiler alert!--gets sliced in half ala Darth Maul in the Star Wars "prequel" The Phantom Menace. (Hmmm, I wonder!) Anyway, Blind Fury is an entertaining little film to watch--released back in 1990, I believe it has since gone on to become a "cult" classic--if you, for one, enjoy watching samurai flicks as I do, and two, you're able to suspend disbelief BIG time. A sidenote: The funniest scene in the movie is when Rutger's character drives a van--he's a blind guy driving a car; get it?--and, when the driver of the car he nearly hits pulls up alongside of him and asks him if he were blind, Hauer's character turns his head in the driver's direction and grins and says that he is, adding, "What's your excuse?" Hilarious, isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment