Welcome to my Movie Blog!

Hi, I'm Tony, a.k.a. The Non Roger Ebert (R.I.P., Roger!), and welcome to my movie blog. First, let me start out by saying that this WON'T be any ordinary movie blog as I'll be reviewing movies you've probably heard of before or probably never thought about watching. Yes, I will review the occasional "mainstream" film (mostly to slam it!) and I'll be reviewing films both past and present (mostly past since I think most films released nowadays suck canal water!). I also won't be using any star ratings or thumbs up or thumbs down or anything like that since if you CAN'T figure out how much I love or loathe a film by my movie reviews alone then you're a dumb mofo, please exit the site NOW!!!! Along with the movie reviews will be commentaries on various celebrities and/or the so-called "entertainment" business in general. Enjoy!



Friday, August 29, 2014

JOE'S APARTMENT



Joe's Apartment is a 1996 film based on a 1992 short film of the same name that was regularly shown on MTV. Both the film and the short is about a schlub who lives in a cramped dingy apartment with a bunch of talking--and singing!--cockroaches. Yes, you heard THAT right! The film stars--of course!--Jerry O'Connell as schlub Joe. (I don't recall who starred in the 1992 short film, though it wasn't Jerry.) The film was the first flick put out by--of course!--MTV (back when they were STILL playing music videos, by the way). While the film wasn't a box office hit (go figure!), it has since gone on to become a sort of cult classic (again, go figure!). For those who haven't had the, uh-hum, pleasure of seeing this particular flick yet, if you, uh-hum, enjoy spending 90 minutes watching a bunch of talking--and singing!--cockroaches and/or watching Jerry O'Connell do things like literally pick up shit (which, of course, could very well be the PERFECT metaphor for his "acting" career!), then Joe's Apartment might--and I say MIGHT!--very well be the PERFECT flick for you! A sidenote: This blog's namesake the late Roger Ebert, for those who are interested, wrote in his review of Joe's Apartment: "Joe's Apartment would be a very bad comedy even without the roaches, but it would not be a disgusting one. No, wait: I take that back. Even without the roaches, we would still have the subplot involving the pink disinfectant urinal cakes." Oh yeah, did I also mention there was a sort of "subplot" in the film about pink urinal cakes?

Here's the MTV film short of Joe's Apartment (which, in my view, was far more "entertaining" then the film): 


And, while we're at it, here's one of the, um, musical numbers in the movie version of Joe's Apartment (my apologies in advance!):

No comments:

Post a Comment